Conferences are pretty hard indeed, particularly for women. I feel that men have the right to disturb, that's expected, but that's not expected from women (unless you are Angela Merkel or Hilary Clinton).
Maybe this is a European things, I know in France, women got to vote only after the WW II so they spent thousands of years having to smile, stay quiet and wear expensive dresses to show their man's wealth.
So for women the examples wouldn't work on most of the men in conferences. They are too busy and too important for that. It would work on me though because I like "different" people. I've got a mac so according to the commercial I "think different" too and when I see someone coming with some of those expressions I think "hmm, thinking outside the box ? It's gotta be a fun talk".
Maybe something like this could work :
- I don't know how to do this on my phone, can you help me ?
- Wifi / LTE is so bad around here, do you have the same problem ?
- Do you know where xxxxx is supposed to "perform" ? (I heard he was awesome, did you see him last year ?)
- (for someone that is drinking/eating) Will I get poisoned with the food/drink ? How bad is it ? What drug did they use for us to stay awake during the whole thing ?
- Are you tweeting your favorite quotes from the conference ? Can we compare our notes ?
- When do you go on stage ? (I'm sorry I thought you were making the latest adjustments to your speech)
- I have no battery anymore, but I'm addicted to chatting, can you give me a 30 seconds fix ?
- I took a bet with a friend. I said I could bring at least one business card for each of the letters of the alphabet, can you help me ? What's your name ?
- Sorry I took you for mr yyyyy that I saw here last year. Can we speak for a minute so that next year I won't take you for someone else ?
- Is this seat free ? I desperately need to rest for a moment, my heels are killing me.
Now those that would work on open minded people :
- Ah... Boys with toys sigh, (no one wants to speak to anyone)
- Wanna dance ? What ?! It's not a bal ?
- Are you taking pictures of me ?
- Can I ask you a question ? What's the point of being all dressed up if no one is looking at you ?
- This place is so crowded that everyone is using the "find my friends" app.
There are some possible scenarios with a wing(wo)man too, but given the price of conferences that may be overkill to bring someone just for that.
There is also the option to kidnap them once they have a drink. They take their drink and you rush to them just after so that they have one hand on their drink and the other in the handshake and they can't get their phone out